The word "piano" actually has many meanings in Italian: gently, flat, smooth, plain, floor (as in we live on the ultimo piano - top floor) and, yes, piano! But "piano piano" means slowly. And that's how it is learning a new language.
I got a good start with the audio lessons, but I think I had hit a plateau. Or maybe I was just bored. Either way, we decided that we would enroll in Italian lessons. I signed Terry and Meryck up for the absolute beginners course, and arranged to take a placement test to see where I should start. On day one, we got there and they told me that I would join the boys in the absolute beginners course. What a crushing blow to my huge ego!! I explained to them that I was two-thirds of the way through my Italian audiolessons, so obviously I didn't belong in the absolute beginners course.
If you have read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, you probably know where this is going. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. Thanks, Kathleen - it was a great book
So they suggested I take the morning 'conversation' course with the boys, and could do 'grammatica' in the afternoon with the level 2 beginners. I was glad that I started the 'conversation' with the absolute beginners, because the instructor spoke not a word of english. She spoke slowly and clearly and repeated herself often, but no translations were given! I guess this is immersion! It was tough, but doable. I am very impressed that the boys managed, because even with my extensive training in la bella lingua, I was mostly lost. In the afternoon, I joined the level 2 class. I thought this was their first day, but I think they were already a week or two into their lessons. (at least that's what I want to think!) This instructor also spoke no english, and spoke a little faster than the morning instructor. I was a little intimidated. Our first assignment was to write a story with a partner using past tense. I faked my way through that using the 3 or 4 verbs that I knew in past tense; my story may have been a little repetitive.
The next day I demoted myself back to the absolute beginner class for good, and stayed with Terry and Meryck for the rest of the lessons. Tomorrow is our last day, and I think we all learned a lot. Meryck did really well the first week, but I think he has had enough now. Terry skipped today, and has already worked about 14 hours to do some catchup at work. He will join us tomorrow, though.
I have a few people that I met through a language exchange website - they want to practice english and will let me practice Italian with them. Also, one of them told me about a news site that allows you to listen to the news in different languages, then go through comprehension tests. Also, I WILL finish my audio course.
So I am much more comfortable now in speaking Italian, but will continue to learn - piano piano!
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good girl Terry it sounds like you are keeping very busy. I will be sure to get that book to read. Take care. I won't nag you for a while. xo
Wow! That is pretty intimidating news... Are you going to wait awhile and take the next step? The good thing is that we know we'll get along fine because we'll all have each other.. I just read a humorous sign from a building site in County Cork, Ireland which said: The shovels have not arrived yet, and, until they do, you'll have to lean on each other.(That's what I'm planning to do too!)
oh Terry...is there hope for us? haha
Gail. the shovel story is a good one and we will be leaning pretty hard on Terry's shove! ha Better get one of those ergonomic ones..less stress and all!
Post a Comment